Wednesday, March 4, 2009

If I were the Boss...

If were the Boss I’d sit in my chair, lean back and rest my legs upon my desk just because I can.

There would be no 9 – 5 and all my employees would have the freedom to do what they wanted as long as they completed all tasks they were assigned to and meet the goals set out for the project.

Employees jobs would not only revolve around sitting at a computer screen for the entire day but would also involve participation by interacting with each other, sharing ideas so there would be creativity and liveliness.

I would implement a fun activity once every two weeks to make employees relax and which would also serve as a form of team building. It would be things like an aerobics class, painting lessons, an outings, a massage, dress up day (like everyone dressing to work according to a theme for that week) – just a period to take time out from everything and bond as an organisation but relax at the same time.

I would implement ideas to get employees to think a different way and encourage and affirm them for jobs well done. This will not only boost their self esteems but encourage them to do their best and enjoy what they do.

Each week an update meeting will be held for all involved in a particular project to get everyone on the same page of the current status of the project. If everyone knows what’s happening they feel part of the process and see what they are working towards achieving.

I’d make sure my employees had access to all the resources they would need on a particular project.

I would be available to discuss any issues if they were to arise and make their environment a place they felt comfortable in and could be productive in.

Being the boss is not about pleasing everyone but upholding a standard of work that makes employees feel like they have accomplished something and reached their personal goals. It’s about guiding your employees to create a success of every project they work on and together work as a team to reach the desired future state of the organisation.

1 comment:

  1. Meeting the goals is easy, but having a boss that sits back and make you do all the work, isn't easy. Believe me, I know a manager like that. No one has respect for you and people will talk behind your back. As long as you don't take the credit for work they did.

    Interacting with the rest of the employees is an imporant aspect in any organisation and by having activities like you said, will help them.

    ReplyDelete